Candice Choi offered up wonderful article in AP News highlighting the dangers of processed foods from a clinical and research perspective.
Points of interest include:
- Processed means curing, freezing, milling or pasteurization
- Almost all foods are somewhat processed
- Scientists created 4 categories of processed foods
- Group 1: Unprocessed or minimally processed foods
- Group 2: Processed culinary ingredients (pressing, refining, grinding, milling, and drying items from Group 1)
- Group 3: Processed foods (bottled, canned, adding salt, adding oil, adding sugar, or other substances from Group 2)
- Group 4: Ultra-processed foods (not so much modified as they are formulated from substances derived from foods and additives with little if any Group 1 intact)
- Processed foods have more calories (500 more) compared to similar unprocessed foods
- More processed foods yields more heart disease
- More processed foods yields more death in general
Candice Choi's article may be read here.